Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother? Reply To: Does anyone ever feel like they are just faking being a mother?

Crislea
Participant

Hello everyone. Please advise, I need guidance! I feel like a phony when people think I have it all together. I don’t at all. I can so relate to all of you.

I found out last year officially-that my son has ADD. I know its not the end of the world but the struggles that come along with is breaks my heart. I often cry. He is in the 4th grade. He definitely has all the creative gifts ADD has to offer but he is failing math and ELA for the past few years. He attends catholic school. I was able to get services and an IEP in place for him-although he takes a bus to the nearest public school to receive services. It is not helpful. I’m in the process of having him re-evaluated and getting him switched to a resource room rather than Speech/OT.

His doctor/neurologist was hesitant (loss of appetite-side effect) but did prescribe Vyvanse for him. I have not brought myself to fill it yet. Does anyone have any feed back on this medicine? I’m so sad I may have to medicate my son but also feel I’m not helping him in every way possible if I don’t. I know all kids are different. Will someone please share an experience if you have had one before and after taking meds for ADD?

The school which does not do much in ways of extra help I’m also so torn about taking him out of catholic school and placing him in public school. He has so many friends and has been there since pre-K. He will be sad.

I also discovered in the course of this journey with my son that I have ADD. It explains a lot about my personality and my life. At 49 I kind of have an explanation as to why I acted a certain way in certain situations. Self discovery was a gift.