Reply To: 8 year old daughter. Is it adhd or strong willed or something else

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond 8 year old daughter. Is it adhd or strong willed or something else Reply To: 8 year old daughter. Is it adhd or strong willed or something else

sophiaaaax10
Participant

Hi,
I have inattentive type adhd and was diagnosed at 15 because none of my teachers thought i had any issues because the only hyperactive symptom i had was constantly fidgeting and already had a learning disability. It is possible to get a diagnosis with the school teachers putting low scores on diagnosis tests but it is harder. You’d have to have school reports, extra curricular activity teacher reports or other family members other than parents.

The strong willed, chatty and being emotional are all common in children with ADHD but remember that these could just be her personality. You should look out for other symptoms of adhd such as
Inattentive:
1 Has trouble staying focused;
2 is easily distracted or gets bored with a task before it’s completed
3 Appears not to listen when spoken to
4 Has difficulty remembering things and following instructions;
5 doesn’t pay attention to details or makes careless mistakes
6 Has trouble staying organized, planning ahead, and finishing projects
7 Frequently loses or misplaces homework, books, toys, or other items
8 gets distracted easily

Hyperactivity:
1 Constantly fidgets and squirms
2 Has difficulty sitting still
3 playing quietly, or relaxing
4 Moves around constantly,
5 often runs or climbs inappropriately
6 Talks excessively
7 May have a quick temper or “short fuse”
8 acts as if driven by a motor

Impulsively:
1 Acts without thinking
2 blurts out answers in class without waiting to be called on or hear the whole question
3 Intrudes on other people’s conversations or games
4 says the wrong thing at the wrong time
5 Inability to keep powerful emotions in check, resulting in angry outbursts or temper tantrums

Six or more symptoms of inattention or hyperactivity and impulsivity need to be present enough that they interfere with her everyday life. they usually make issues in academic, executive disfunction, emotional, social communication or aggression.

Teachers will most of the time pick up on hyperactive and impulsivity in children as they will have seen what it looks like in other children with adhd in the past but inattentive is harder to see. You should talk to her as she is old enough to know how she is feeling. Also go through each symptom and try and see how often she does them because all children will do them but it depends on how much it effects her life and functioning.

Hope this helps xx

Im not an expert this is from my experience and a couple of my friends experiences 🙂