Reply To: Newly diagnosed…overwhelmed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Newly diagnosed…overwhelmed Reply To: Newly diagnosed…overwhelmed

topherlee420
Participant

Hey threethrees. Thank you so much for this post.

I’m 44 and I just recently started the process for diagnosis, and I went for the consult and ended up with a lot of information.

I’m so overwhelmed. I’ve been working through a time management program on LinkedIn since my therapist started mentioning it months ago. Between that and the consult and trying to straighten out a lifetime of chaos has been exhausting. I was taking to my mom about it and how I was in school, oh, you weren’t adhd, you just didn’t pay attention and didn’t like homework. Your brother was the one that couldn’t sit still.

Mmm k.

I got my butt tore up if I didn’t sit still. He didn’t. Go figure lol.

I feel so hyperfocused in why I didn’t figure this out sooner, and how in the world am I going to get life to a manageable thing with work and remodeling the house and catching bills up. It like if I get personal life headed in a decent direction and my work life is falling apart. If I am in a relationship and trying to make time for that I end up failing at so many other areas. I have days that I feel like I am chasing myself around trying to get things done and end up exhausted and nothing even started.

I’m looking forward to something better. But damn what a mess.