Reply To: I can’t concentrate on my job – colleagues constant chat!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done I can’t concentrate on my job – colleagues constant chat! Reply To: I can’t concentrate on my job – colleagues constant chat!

quietlylost
Participant

I’d echo what’s been said. Headphones can be key. Also, maybe there’s a way for you to move to a different space when you really need to focus. Maybe asking your supervisor for some accommodations to use a conference room or get some noise cancelling headphones.

It can be hard, but you can also talk to the coworkers. Let them know that you sometimes have trouble focusing and keeping track of the details when there’s lots of distraction and see if they’d be willing to help you out by having conversations elsewhere. You may have to be flexible and let them know it’s not all the time that they need to do that, but having them know that when you ask you’re asking for a good reason.

All in all, coworkers and shared work spaces are hard. There’s no easy fix, even with medications.

For me I find music is sometimes helpful. I also find that if I take a brief walk when I’m starting to get flooded or distracted that when I come back I can focus easier even if there’s still noise going on. I have also had to ask people for adjustments in the past too. I let them know what works for me, and I let them know that if they need me to do something different they can always ask. “If my music ever gets too loud or bothers you, please let me know.” Or, “If it looks like I’m not paying attention to you I might not be. I sometimes have headphones in or listen to music so I don’t get distracted as much.”

Good luck whatever you do!