Reply To: Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress? Reply To: Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress?

stella1013
Participant

Hi Hummingbird19,
Yes, self-care is tough especially when I know I’ll feel better. The other part of self-care I’m working on is not to self-blame… A continuous work in progress.

I was recently diagnosed about 5 years ago. I’ve been diagnosed with depression since my teens. Off and on Prozac. After entering post-surgical menopause my oncologist thought Effexor would be better to help control the hot flashes…

Surprisingly I really liked Effexor and it helped stabilize the mood swings a lot. One downside is the withdrawal symptoms. Though that gives me an added incentive to not miss a dose. Something I was prone to do on Prozac.

It’s been hard to explain how complicated ADHD is alone, then adding in hormones or lack thereof and it’s harder for me to explain. My family and friend also know about it all…Though trying to get my family to realize they may need to be checked for it too has been tough. Though my mom has been the only one to get tested and she’s been diagnosed with ADHD. She had a really tough time in school and does feel relieved to know there’s a reason.