Reply To: Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress? Reply To: Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress?

Hummingbird19
Participant

Hi roadrunner, Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I’m sorry you are going through this and think many of us on here can relate! I was quite irked after reading your comment about the doctor laughing at you. Am I right to assume it was because of your age? From what I’ve read, it isn’t unreasonable to think you could be going through perimenopause. I’m 47 and think I started at least 2 years ago due to longer, heavier periods and increased frequency of every 21 days. Oddly, my PA, who also does my exams, didn’t really answer when I originally asked if I was going through perimenopause or menopause. Grrrr! She had no idea that perimenopause and the related hormones can increase symptoms of ADHD. I actually forwarded a couple of articles to her. It seemed like she was doubtful I had ADHD and was just trying to get my hands on a stimulant!

Side note: I’m a bit perplexed about the terminology. I think perimenopause and menopause are often used synonymously. It’s my understanding perimenopause is the period of time when changes take place prior to menopause and menopause is the year after the last period. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Since originally posting my question, I have read a lot of articles about menopause, hormones, and ADHD. I too, was diagnosed with depression first, twenty years ago. I’m pretty sure I have anxiety as well but it has never been addressed. I do have a history of depression but I’m frustrated that all of the doctors, PAs, psychiatrists, and psychologists over the years totally missed the boat with my ADHD.

Your experience struck a chord with me. It seems that most professionals aren’t educated about ADHD let alone the effects of hormones. There are some great articles on this site and on the web about them. I also watched a youtube video titled ADHD & Women with Patricia O Quinn M.D. – Webinar. It’s long and old but still seems relevant and I highly recommend watching it. I plan on seeing an endocrinologist who can hopefully understand the role that hormones play with ADHD.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Hummingbird19.