Reply To: Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress? Reply To: Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress?

spacecadet59
Participant

Hi everyone,
I’d like to follow up about my experience. I shared a lot in my earlier posts, but in summary, September was horrible for me. I felt like I couldn’t think straight about anything. It’s a busy time as i restart choir practices and preschool music classes. I also added the job of leading our church handbell group and totally redefining my role in music ministry. All of the above are paying jobs.

I saw my doctor for a physical and thyroid and other bloodwork was fine. We talked about ADHD and he was hesitant to prescribe meds because of the possible side effects. I’ve always had the option to take a slightly higher dose of Effexor,so he suggested that. It may have helped, but I don’t really have a way of telling.

Generally, things are much better, but I’ll share more. Maybe there will be something worthwhile for someone else. So the extra effexor may have helped, but here are some other thoughts.
1) My granddaughter had a late school start because of construction on a new school building. I goofed off a lot with her and stayed in summer mode longer than usual. Therefore, I had little advance prep for my fall responsibilities and was also adding to those responsibilities.
2) I was a slug in September and exercised very little, even though I had exercised a fair amount over the summer. I also had some pretty bad eating habits.
3)We had an onslaught of over 90 degree days! It was miserable and we had some record breaking days for this late in the year. The temp dropped 20 degrees in one day a couple of weeks ago and I was a different person. I drink a lot of water, but think I may have been slightly dehydrated during the heat wave.

This is long! If you’re still reading, I’m about to finish.😉

In conclusion, life is messy and we’re complicated. Aging and health issues add to the effects of ADHD in our lives. One size does not fit all and we’re are own best advocates. For me, I think I need to work on healthy habits. I also need to be ahead of my tendencies to have brain meltdown, not taking on too much, routines and systems in place to handle work and life, and just a break to breath more often. I might get it figured out this week and it will be different next week. This thing is a continuous journey, as is anyone’s life.

Hope y’all find what works for you. Blessings!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by spacecadet59.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Penny Williams.