Reply To: Switching meds & how to know the right meds for you?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Switching meds & how to know the right meds for you? Reply To: Switching meds & how to know the right meds for you?

jwilli
Participant

Rosalie, I was prescribed Adderall XR 30 for several years, and it worked very well for my ADHD symptoms all day. The problem however, as I’ve now also discovered with other stimulants, was the (undisclosed) change in formulation! These changes drastically decreased the efficacy of the stimulant, and similar to what you described, brought on unwanted side-effects. So, I too quit taking Adderall XR, and stopped treatment altogether for quite awhile.

Since going back to school to finish my degree, my ADHD symptoms became so bothersome that my doctor suggested I try Vyvance. It is a different type of stimulant med. It’s active ingredient lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, is a prodrug that’s designed to turn into an amphetamine after it binds with lysine in your digestive tract. So, Vyvance doesn’t activate nearly as fast as Adderall, and there can be other issues as well. But you never know until you try something, and it doesn’t hurt to talk to your doc about it. This site is sponsored by Vyvance and maybe you could get a coupon off for trial. Best of luck to you!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by jwilli.