Reply To: I always feel incompetent no matter what I do

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I always feel incompetent no matter what I do Reply To: I always feel incompetent no matter what I do

FranB
Participant

Minimum wage jobs are hard. Especially for people who found school difficult.

What I’d suggest is doing some self-diagnostics of what’s the hardest, what you hate about what you have to do, what you like about it, and what you’d change if you could. If you have a good manager or supervisor, let them know what you’re finding hard, see if they can help out in figuring out ways to make it easier for you.

It also might be that a different sort of job than what you’ve got now would be best. For example, my bro current has a job at a doggy daycare and honestly, it’s an ideal job for someone with ADHD. Hands on, lots of physical activity, and instant positive feedback from happy dogs.

In general, just remember, you are more than what your job is. Your worth is not in what you do for a paycheck. Your worth is what you can do, yourself. Most minimum wagers who survive are the kind who couldn’t care less about their job. They’re just there to be a warm body and then collect a paycheck. And for minimum wage, I sure as anything don’t blame them. Long as you can fake it til Friday (or whatever your Friday is as min wage isn’t often the MF 9-5) you’ll be fine.

Hang in there!