Reply To: How do you manage to run a household & family without going crazy!!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done How do you manage to run a household & family without going crazy!! Reply To: How do you manage to run a household & family without going crazy!!

NancyM
Participant

Ah this could have been written by me! I feel your pain . I think there are a few things that have helped me get my kids to the grown up stage and I’ve just about managed to survive my job in SEN education .
1. When I was / am overwhelmed with stuff as my kids put it I go “on one “ and I just throw it all out with a sarcastic “ Does it bring me joy” to which I answer “Does it f**k” and this makes me laugh, which makes me feel better.
I do the 3 pile system and I do it fast. Music can help. This releases energy , makes me feel focused and I see immediate results.
2.I always try and think that it could be so much worse and then feel guilty for all my good luck , possessions, Education system , reasonable health etc etc!! Then I flip it and do gratitude!!
Throwing stuff out with gratitude is fun too.
3. I give thanks to Fumio Sasaki
“Goodbye things”
4. I changed my personality and tell everyone I’m a minimalist , even though I have hoarding tendencies …… not after Fumio
5. I apologise a lot because I do my own head so I expect I must be doing a lot of other peoples.
6. I blame the world and the systems for being too busy and red tape y and when I’m not up to par I forgive myself pretty easily.
7. I quote the serenity prayer under my breath laughing at my own hypocrisy as an atheist .
8. In the grand scheme of things which we are just a tiny micro part of and probably will be extinct anyway I just think deep breaths and does it really matter?
9. Yes if it’s people and kindness and well being. No if it’s just a pile of stuff and red tape like zappers, PE kit, dirty washing, food debris. Just keep trucking and you will find you are doing ok.
10. Just know you’re doing your best in a tricky world and if you do things with kindness and without malice you’re doing a good enough job .