Reply To: Dismissive comments, even in health care environments

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Dismissive comments, even in health care environments Reply To: Dismissive comments, even in health care environments

Love4ADHDnDANCE
Participant

I use to be offended when people would tell me “do you really have ADHD, is that really a thing?” Then I became a doctor, with ADHD, went to an old school dental office and as I was getting my intake of past medical history – where I stated that I have ADHD- the dentist asked the same question. I laughed with Joy and no longer with anger and insecurity and politely told him “ if you ever lived with someone with ADHD, you would definitely believe it is a thing.”

Allowing people to get the best version of yourself away from you because a health care provider is biased due to the lack of knowledge the person has obtained, is allowing you to remind yourself that ADHD is a problem. Focus on your goals and be mindful ( even if you need medication and a lot of therapy to do so) and you will see that you will all win. Even the old school dentist will win, because the next thought leaders of this world are the ones who can hyper focus on the passion of positivity. I am talking about us. The ones with ADHD. It is a blessing you are able to weed out the disability with lots of sleep hygiene, exercise, practice, support and learned and/or medicated patience.