Reply To: Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress? Reply To: Can ADHD get worse with age, menopause or stress?

Hummingbird19
Participant

Thank you for replying Spacecadet59! I like your username by the way! 😂 No, you are not alone!

I also take Synthroid for hypothyroidism! Concerned about my research and self test results, I went to my PA and told her I thought I had ADHD. She suspected my symptoms were due to hormones related to hypothyroidism and possibly perimenopause. My thyroid did end up being a bit low so she increased Synthroid dose. She seemed a little skeptical about ADHD but referred me to a psychologist who diagnoses it. It would be a good thing to know if or how hormone levels affect ADHD.

I am also really hard on myself. I actually thought I had my act together until the past five years but now see how ADHD has affected my entire life. I almost think ignorance was bliss because now I know my normal isn’t normal. I’m having a hard time accepting it even though it explains everything.

I can relate when you said, “unable to deal with all the little pieces.” It doesn’t take much to overwhelm me these days.

Do your children think Adderall has helped them and did they adjust pretty quickly? I’m glad to hear you’ll be discussing ADHD with your doctor!