Reply To: Is this an ADHD symptom : Inability to process busy info

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Is this an ADHD symptom : Inability to process busy info Reply To: Is this an ADHD symptom : Inability to process busy info

Cathy17
Participant

Good day everyone!

Righan and bbylily, a lot of what you describe happens to me too.
Visually, everything except the reading thing – I manage well with reading although I’ve realised that I read even more comfortably on the e-reader on my phone, where I just see about two sentences at a time. But I used to read through an entire book a night as a teenager, even before that, because I just could not sleep. So reading long paragraphs are OK luckily.

But shops and shopping centres are challenging. I get disoriented if I stay in one for too long – it takes so much effort to do what I went there to do. All the lights and sounds and smells.

Smells trouble me too 😐

But I have the most trouble with sounds. It feels like my brain does not want to distinguish between sounds I should focus on and background sounds. This makes lectures very challenging, however I manage that when on Methylphenidate. (Trying to finish my degree.)

After hours is a nightmare though. I live a student residence which is very noisy but I can’t afford to live anywhere else. People playing music at all hours and cars parking while playing music at super loud levels (with the bass over prominent) has driven me to tears very often. I can’t seem to shut down.

It feels irrational that sounds should be such a problem for me because I am a musician and study music.

Getting my brain to “be quiet” has been a problem ever since I can remember, but I wasn’t diagnosed with ADD until recently (am 30 now).