Reply To: I can’t concentrate on my job – colleagues constant chat!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done I can’t concentrate on my job – colleagues constant chat! Reply To: I can’t concentrate on my job – colleagues constant chat!

Krismchacer
Participant

are you allowed to use headphones or earbuds? Sometimes streaming music (only you can say what kind will not distract you) can be enough “white noise” to block out chatting as your brain concentrates. I personally need to literally do 2 things at once to keep my mind focused. Sounds weird, but when I am in a meeting I have to doodle, when I was at my daughter’s basketball games, I had to crochet or do cross-stitch. If I am in a distracting environment, I am under constant stress internally unless I do this. I even requested to have my desk turned to the wall. Many people won’t interrupt unless necessary when your back is turned. Your boss needs to know about your difficulties (not to mention your overly “Chatty Cathy” next to you!) before it becomes a productivity or accuracy/deadline problem. But come prepared with a way that you think will help–bosses are much more receptive when you have a solution they can buy into. Be sure to stress the “increased productivity and accuracy” vs the “personal issue”. Coming out to your workplace with your ADHD is a slippery slope.