Reply To: I can’t stand up for myself at work and I hate myself for it!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I can’t stand up for myself at work and I hate myself for it! Reply To: I can’t stand up for myself at work and I hate myself for it!

SimonaSto
Participant

Oh, dear I can totally see this. I have been struggling with this too ON and OFF. What I found that helped the jobs that I had someone who ‘got my back’ was very easy. Meaning I was very confident, when I felt I had someone of certain level of authority be on my side. I also learned from my husband who doesn’t take any ‘crap’ from anyone. I learned that the very first standing up for yourself are the hardest. Once you realize that nothing bad happened it’ll be easier. Try going to that person who ‘attacked’ you and calmly talk to him/her about it. Let them know that you are well educated (you may throw that here and there from time to time for no reason as people tend to forget specially if you are kinder person) and the behavior they showed against you is inappropriate and not expected. I understand it might be difficult, but realize nobody likes confrontations. Not even your boss or mean coworker and if you say something they will do it less and less or avoid it at all.
try to find someone who will back you up. (but don’t be needy about it ….you know, nobody likes needy, whiny people 🙂 )
Best of luck to you

PS Don’t take mistakes harshly, everybody does them. I know how we can get hard on our selves.

Oh and also I found out that upbeat music helps me to boost my confidence.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by SimonaSto.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by SimonaSto.