Reply To: I can’t stand up for myself at work and I hate myself for it!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I can’t stand up for myself at work and I hate myself for it! Reply To: I can’t stand up for myself at work and I hate myself for it!

LuannKelly1980
Participant

Hello Honey18, yes, I was the same way in my most of my jobs. It was very humiliating to say the least. I have 3 college degrees including Master’s in Sports Medicine. I have been bullied so many times at work I lost count. Every job led to adrenal burnout. I finally had a mental breakdown and am on SSDI, and refinish furniture and I love it. You are right about working by yourself, for yourself! It is freeing, and I can actually say no to people, and don’t answer to anyone. It helped me to get counseling and study bullying. When you are a kind hearted soul, you can tend to attract bullies who are really jealous of you. One boss whistled at me like a dog in front of clients! I ran to the ladies room and cried. Another new boss treated me like a kindergartener even though I was the top salesperson at the jewelry store! And on it went. So I understand totally! It seemed like when I pushed back to stick up for myself, the bullying got worse. Do I would just get a new job. Unfortunately, many narcissists land in senior management positions, and for people like us, it us very harmful to our psyche.