Reply To: My Son has no interest in trying at school and is so far behind

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning My Son has no interest in trying at school and is so far behind Reply To: My Son has no interest in trying at school and is so far behind

Penny Williams
Keymaster

🙋🏻‍♀️ Me too! My son just started Junior year of high school and it’s all crumbling down. He says he doesn’t see the point of school (or life) and wants to just give up. Of course, he is seeing a therapist weekly because this is some scary stuff, but he’s just so done with school. He’s done trying hard and not succeeding. He’s done learning things he’ll never use outside the classroom. He’s done watching kids be mean to each other. He’s done feeling so incredibly different around people who are supposed to be his peers.

We do a hybrid situation with two classes in person at school and 2 classes of online public school at home. That really helped last year, but he’s perseverating on all the pointlessness. Frankly, I don’t blame him in thinking school is pointless. It doesn’t prepare kids for life, just imparts knowledge for the sake of it.

Our high school has offered for him to graduate with less required credits than everyone else, which apparently they can do under special circumstances. They see how wicked smart he is and they see how traumatic school has been for him. That means a year and a couple more classes, instead of two full years, but I’m wondering if we can just make that.

I look SOOOOO forward to the day when he can choose what he wants to learn and how he wants to learn it. When he can choose what type of job he wants.

Keep having in there!

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism