Reply To: Is this an ADHD symptom : Inability to process busy info

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Is this an ADHD symptom : Inability to process busy info Reply To: Is this an ADHD symptom : Inability to process busy info

righan
Participant

I actually also have the same issue with sound, I just didn’t mention it because I had run across an explanation for those symptoms before, just not the visual issues.

However, when I ran across the problem from an auditory perspective the articles I read were talking about ASD … not ADHD. Despite this, they described it very similar to how you described ADHD. The article said (some) people with ASD have an inability to eliminate irrelevant sounds (prioritize sounds) and so they are unable to focus on the one they want to in the way a NT is.

I find it very surprising (and not a little frustrating) that both conditions not only have the same symptoms but those symptoms seem to be caused by the same thing … an inability to prioritize sensory data.

It must be very difficult to sort out high-functioning ASD and ADHD when they appear to have the same symptoms.