Reply To: Can GPs prescribe meds to raise dopamine level

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Can GPs prescribe meds to raise dopamine level Reply To: Can GPs prescribe meds to raise dopamine level

scottishADHDer
Participant

Hey

Yeah, sadly GP’s are qualified to make an ADHD diagnosis. It’s the same with dermatology problems. Anything which is outside the scope of their knowledge, they will refer the patient. It’s the only ethical approach they can take, otherwise, they would be getting themselves into trouble if it wasn’t ADHD. I totally understand your frustration.

Use this: https://www.scottishadhdcoalition.org/adhd-diagnosis-in-adults/

I know it’s for Scotland, but it has tips and things you can do. It’s also packed with information for adults with ADHD. Like I mentioned previously. Save up money, but only what you can afford. Month after month, put a little away to save for a private assessment. If that’s not possible, just bide your time until the clinic can see you. I know it must be hellish, but it will pay off in the end.

I know people hate hearing this, but before I was diagnosed, one of the biggest things which got me through the day was exercise. It raises dopamine and releases those “feel good” chemicals. You don’t have to do anything crazy. But if you get into a pattern of doing it, the brain will improve, and so will your wellbeing.

Kind Regards