Reply To: Does my ADHD give me positive traits too?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums How to Use the ADDitude Forums Does my ADHD give me positive traits too? Reply To: Does my ADHD give me positive traits too?

Dduch
Participant

Your mind.

People have underestimated me my entire life. They think that because you don’t process verbal direction, or because you daydream, or appear to not be paying attention, that you are slow, or cognitively inferior. For most of my life, I believed them, and I reflected that.

The thing is, I never was. It was never me. If you really think about it, we are gifted with minds that have no patience for the mundane.
There are a lot of frustrating things, that cause people to judge you, but that’s them, not you.

Most people, if they fall off a ladder? They just fall. Maybe they have a quick reflex, and they save themselves, but I doubt any of them would have a plan, before the ladder even hits the halfway-to-the-ground mark.

If you seek to be normal, then you might feel inadequate. Yet, imagine people seeking to be like you, and (for me anyway) maybe you realize that they don’t have the ability.

I know that I’m one of a kind. I have yet to meet another, quite like myself.

I don’t know if that helps. That’s how I feel better about people treating me like I’m stupid, which for me, is what used to dictate how I felt about myself.