Reply To: Coping as an artist?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Coping as an artist? Reply To: Coping as an artist?

ivry321
Participant

I have been a musician and now a music composer my whole life. I have had a day job for maybe 6 years in a hospital psychiatric ward and lived with untreated ADHD up to about 8 years ago. I am 60 and I don’t wish to screw around with this learning curve. I hope what I will share with you, you will try. Takes about 90 days for this technique to stick.

First off Don’t wait to be inspired. Being an artist means you search for inspiration in looking at other peoples work or developing an idea of your own.

Getting stuff done is hard, especially if you are self-employed and need to do work for yourself you usually put off, like paying bills. There always seems to be another task to do: a drawer could be organized, a phone call to your sister or checking flight prices on a trip you have no intention of taking.

Enter: the Pomodoro Technique.

This popular time-management method can help you power through distractions, hyper-focus and work in short bursts, while taking frequent breaks to come up for air and relax. Best of all, it’s easy. If you have a busy job where you’re expected to produce, it’s a great way to work through your tasks. Let’s break it down and see how you can apply it to your work.

• Write down the night before what you need to do the following day.
  • Purchase an egg timer. 3 bucks at the grocery store.
  • Set it for 25 min. after it goes off stop for 5 minutes breathe walk around
  • go back set the egg timer again for 25 minutes and do it again. .
  • wash rinse repeat

Don’t go onto another project till you finish the one you started. I know it’s tough. Give yourself the 90 days then another if u need too.

If you are a professional or want to do this for a living you must treat this like your going to work. No email or Facebook right after you awake. Set up a half-hour perhaps during your lunch hour to catch up with social media stuff if possible.

If you don’t think you can cut out social media alone there are plenty of programs that will help you stay offline once you set that up.

Remember to sleep well and eat right for your brain. And for heaven’s sake quit being so hard on yourself,it’s not your fault you have this ADHD stuff. It’s a learning disability so learn.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by ivry321.