Reply To: Too much fun stuff, not caring about projects, cant wake up early

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Too much fun stuff, not caring about projects, cant wake up early Reply To: Too much fun stuff, not caring about projects, cant wake up early

Outsider
Participant

A few things that help me –
When an impulse hits me (a.k.a. opportunity), I pause and ask myself to do a risk/reward or base value on the opportunity vs cost. This takes a lot of practice but I find myself controlling more of my time than before. It becomes harder late in the day when I am tired.

for your projects: this is really hard for many of us. You see them, you want to do them, you don’t get them done. For me, no matter how many lists or goals I set, they still don’t get there. For me, external help is needed. I call this help my primer. Anyone can be a primer (as long as they are not ADHD) and probably should be someone close (my primer is my wife). This person is the one who can help get you started. Basically someone to identify an opportunity to start a project and get you engaged in an appropriate starting point. With a little guidance on when and where to start, you will proceed in full force and that primer can disengage pretty quickly to move on to their own things. it is a very common problem that people with ADHD can see the project as a whole and without a good starting point, the project becomes to daunting to even start.

for getting up in the morning, I dont have any real useful advice. An interesting read that may help a little is “When: the Scientific Secrets to Perfect Timing” by Daniel Pink. If you are like my, you probably dont like to read books, so I recommend the audio version (less than 6 hours) and listen in the car.