Reply To: It's just 15-20 minutes… it's not a big deal

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame It's just 15-20 minutes… it's not a big deal Reply To: It's just 15-20 minutes… it's not a big deal

Ann M
Participant

Hi, I think showing up on time IS a big deal.:) It’s professional. It shows respect and reliability.

QUOTE: “If you arrive on time, you are late. If you arrive early, you are on time.”

Hacks that work for me (w/ADD):

– ALLOW AT 30 EXTRA MINUTES EVERY MORNING to overcome being 15-20 min late.
– 2 ALARM CLOCKS, in case you turn one off without waking up. (OR, put one across the room, so you have to get up to turn it off) 🙂
– CONSIDER EVERY STEP OF YOUR MORNING, and how to simplify. Includes: clothes ready, breakfast makings ready and easy to put together (detail example: coffee, coffee scoop, mugs, and filter baskets are stored together and ready to use). For me, that means kleenex, toothpaste, TP, skincare, makeup, feminine products, etc. ready and accessible so no time wasted searching. Shampoo, conditioner, razor, shave lotion ready in shower. Clothes ready – or two outfits ready, so decide at least minute on one. Plenty of underwear, socks/stockings, etc. .
– NEVER LET YOUR UNDERWEAR, SOCKS, ETC…THINGS YOU WEAR EVERYDAY…RUN OUT bc they’re in the laundry. Buy extras, and wash when they’re getting low. Avoid panic situations.
– NEVER LET YOUR BOWLS/MUGS/SHAKER BOTTLES…THINGS YOU USE TO EAT EVERY MORNING…RUN OUT. NEVER USE THE LAST ONE. (Otherwise, you have to search around the next a.m.)
– BE ***EXTREMELY*** CAREFUL OF SOCIAL MEDIA WHEN YOUR GOAL IS TO LEAVE YOUR HOUSE/APT. Either don’t look at your phone, or JUST look at urgent family/work email (if you must). You can check mid-morning or lunchtime.
– GO TO BED 1/2 HOUR EARLIER. START WITH 15 MIN EARLIER, THEN BUILD UP. This may mean you need to eat dinner earlier at night, or work out children’s bedtime routines earlier. Sleep is so important. Ask family members (when old enough) how you can all work together to help this happen. Celebrate when you have a routine that is working.
– IF YOU SOMETHING NEEDING TO BE DONE THAT EVENING (EG LAUNDRY…GETTING LOW): put a post-it on the refrigerator, your place at the dining table, or on the TV/computer to remind you.
– IF YOU NEED TO REMEMBER SOMETHING SPECIAL TO TAKE TO WORK: put a post-it reminder on your door. You’ll see it as you’re leaving.
– SET YOUR KITCHEN CLOCK 7 MINUTES FAST
– ALWAYS ALLOW EXTRA TIME FOR COMMUTING ISSUES (CONSTRUCTION, CLOSURES, ETC.)
– VISUALIZE AND EMOTIONALIZE (feel) How you will feel when people comment how you are always on time. 🙂

CONCLUSION: OBSERVE what goes into your workday morning, see what slows you down, and solve for it. Get the family involved. It will help them! Allow extra time for emergencies (at home or during commute).

I have more, but that’s a start. You can do this! ADD/ADHD folks are creative! 🙂 🙂