Reply To: Methylphenidate manufacturer changed and it doesn’t seem to work as well.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Methylphenidate manufacturer changed and it doesn’t seem to work as well. Reply To: Methylphenidate manufacturer changed and it doesn’t seem to work as well.

ElleK
Participant

I had a difficult time with the switch from Sandoz manufacturer of methylphenidate 10mg to other generics. They either were like placebos or placebos with added side effects . I asked my doctor about switching to the brand name, but she really wanted me to try Concerta instead of immediate release Ritalin. I had a terrible reaction to the Concerta (it was a generic) I had waves of chills, nausea, a headache and my hands and feet turned to ice, that continued for the entire day about every 30 minutes. She said she didn’t know of that happening to anyone else but agreed to switch me to Ritalin 10mg. Turns out Concerta generics, while FDA approved–the delivery method is still patented so even though the medication is supposed to be the same, how it is released throughout the day may not be. Perhaps I am more sensitive than most, but I noticed a positive change with the Ritalin brand name. I am surprised that it was under 30 AUD!! I pay $97 every 30 days, (10mg/ 90 pills) as my insurance will only cover generics. That is with the goodrx coupon discount. Even though I wished it worked better, and my doc has been trying to get me to be open to Adderall I’m concerned about side effects, and also cost–Adderall is more than 2x the cost of Ritalin and after battling CVS over useless generics for the past couple of years I stopped taking methylphenidate for a year. But that was a mistake. I definitely notice Ritalin is more consistent and I need less of it. I do need to take more as I get close to my monthly cycle when hormones are changing though.