Reply To: Formal Diagnosis and Vyvanse

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Formal Diagnosis and Vyvanse Reply To: Formal Diagnosis and Vyvanse

Sario528
Participant

On formal diagnosis, I will say that I personally would always rather know for sure, rather than merely suspecting. As to your parents, I would suggest explaining it to them that the brain is just another organ, and like any organ, it can get sick. Nobody bats an eye at someone taking blood pressure medicine, why should brain focus medicine be any different? Beyond that, families are hard. Try being patient with them, but don’t be afraid to put your own well-being first.

On medication, I can personally attest to the “glasses effect”. The first time I tried medication (and it was vyvanse) I was amazed at my ability to focus on what I needed to without my brain trying to run off in a million different directions. I would strongly recommend giving medication a shot if you do get diagnosed, as I think that there is a very good chance that you are more impaired than you realize.