Reply To: My 5 y/o behaves differently with me than Ex

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline My 5 y/o behaves differently with me than Ex Reply To: My 5 y/o behaves differently with me than Ex

JoLi112
Participant

This sounds word for word like my life! Absolutely no judgment, I totally understand where you are coming from. My 7 year old seems to act differently with me than my ex. I feel like he hates me sometimes. He’s told me that and much worse! After doing some research, I’m beginning to realize that we have different parenting styles and that mine may not be as effective and helpful in dealing with his ADHD. My son has had violent outbursts towards himself and myself as well and his dad seemed shocked when I told him as he has never exhibited that behavior with him. Just yesterday he was kicked out of his summer camp for punching a boy, throwing someone’s shoe in the toilet and spraying sunscreen in someone’s face. He is on medication. I have to say, I’ve known he’s had behavioral issues since he was about two years old. Now I’m starting to realize that it may be more than ADHD, possibly a mood disorder. Taking him to a therapist today then searching for another summer camp…. I totally understand you. You’re not alone!