Reply To: I’m really embarassed…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I’m really embarassed… Reply To: I’m really embarassed…

DeanSpeedRacer
Participant

Thanks for the post….not alone indeed! One thing I do that helps me especially with mindless type repetitive tasks or when I am doing multiple things (especially when they are really important) like checking out at the grocery store (debit card example above), taking my medicine or locking up the office after work with loaded arms in the rain for example…I literally will stop everything that I am doing, block out all of the distractions (physical and noise in my head about dinner, whats next etc) best I can and talk to myself out loud (if I am alone) and say “you just set the alarm and locked the office door” as I am doing it, for example. It takes 5 seconds, but I rest assured things were taken care of instead of jolting awake laying in bed at midnight wondering if I put my debit card back in my pocket, took my medicine or locked up the office. If I am in public I try and whisper under my breath (so I am thinking it and verbalizing it…multiple “touches” as they say makes a difference for me) or, for instance, with the grocery example I will have the conversation nonchalantly with the cashier/myself as we are wrapping up…”okay, let’s see, I have my card in my wallet or you gave me back my card (as i am putting it in my wallet) and I have my bags, thank you!” and make it conversational so it seems natural. I am new to understanding my ADHD, but this seems to be helping me.