Reply To: Feeling overwhelmed by my spouse's ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Feeling overwhelmed by my spouse's ADHD Reply To: Feeling overwhelmed by my spouse's ADHD

LoriR
Participant

This thread is a reality check for me. I broke up with my live-in boyfriend of 2 years for reasons that have already been described.

I believe I have ADHD too, but over the years I’ve learned to time and measure everything. This takes this long, I can manage this much in one day, I need a break after so many minutes of work. In other words, I’ve become a plodder. I’m still very slow and don’t accomplish much, but at least I keep to my commitments.

(As a mother, I was basically a failure, even though I loved my child. Motherhood was so not fun!)

Unfortunately my boyfriend wasn’t motivated to learn these skills, or maybe he doesn’t know how to pull it all together. I believe that he meant well, on some level.

The point I’m trying to make is that maybe people can change when they’re ready. But an ADHD man who has a woman who will pick up the slack? Not likely.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by LoriR.
  • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by LoriR.