Reply To: I’m really embarassed…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I’m really embarassed… Reply To: I’m really embarassed…

Mama Vautour
Participant

I once lost my keys while they were in my hand. I was going somewhere with my son and I couldn’t find my car keys. I enlisted his help in finding them. We both stopped dead in our tracks and looked at each other when we heard the sound of them jingling as I moved them from one hand to the other to pick up a cushion to look under it. I’d been carrying them in my hand the whole time.

I once lost my purse while it was sitting in my lap. My b/f and I were sitting on the couch, talking. I said I’d put it off long enough, I had to go get the groceries. I looked over at the dining room table and the chairs, scanned the couch and asked him if he’d seen my purse. He said on, he hadn’t. He scanned the room and the hallway from his vantage point. Maybe it’s in the kitchen, I said and lifted the purse off my lap so I could stand up and go look. As I made that gesture we both looked at each other and laughed. He’s another ADDer.

I don’t just look for my glasses when I’m wearing them. I look for them when they’re in my hand.

I can identify with your feeling that people are going to find you out sooner or later. I used to change jobs frequently. I always did well, really well at my jobs. But eventually I’d start to get that gnawing feeling that they were going to find out that I wasn’t as smart as they thought I was and I’d move on to wow some other company for a little while before those nagging feelings returned. Apparently, this is not uncommon among people with ADD.