Reply To: Why wont anyone believe me

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Why wont anyone believe me Reply To: Why wont anyone believe me

hjordisaa
Participant

Ugh that is so so painful! I am so sorry! ADHD is real, but way too many people don’t believe it’s real. A lot of the time education helps – like if you’re someone who doesn’t present as a hyperactive little boy then you might not fit the ideas they have in their head. My favorite thing is to send a youtube video that explains what I want to explain (it’s never worth trying to do myself, it’s draining and hard.)

You are not an awful person, you are not a lazy person trying to scam drugs. That idea kept me from seeking treatment for myself for a long time. The fact that you’ve advocated for yourself the way you have is really hard- convincing yourself to pursue help is something to be really proud of yourself for, by the way. Seriously, I admire you.

As for your friend – do you best to remember that what she said really hurts and it’s okay to take some distance. That pain is so so real. I also encourage you to try and explain how painful this is to her, if you can. Explain how painful it can be to have ADHD, to see what you feel you ‘should’ be doing and for some reason not being able to get from point a to point b. How it makes you hard on yourself, it’s a real, proven problem, and she shouldn’t shame you for trying to address it.

And as for making friends, I seriously recommend finding an ADHD support group. It’s much easier to make friends in those spaces.

Sending love ad hope!