Reply To: Son 22, never had a job and living with enabling mom

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Son 22, never had a job and living with enabling mom Reply To: Son 22, never had a job and living with enabling mom

lroche
Participant

Danyosaur, thank you for sharing and I am glad you are having success. But I have ask – what does work? As a parent, it is crushing to see your child, adult or otherwise making poor choices, isolated and depressed over their situation. Tubby is probably relieved his son graduated, but it probably was due to the mother micromanaging (stalking) out of her own fear. A degree doesn’t solve any problem – actually it adds expectations that his son is clearly not ready to mature.

How long should parents wait before we see a change? Medication and counseling seem like a waste when the patient doesn’t want to change. What made you want to change?

The online world has made ADD worse and contributes to isolation and failures way beyond my generation of the 1980’s. We had no option but to participate in our world- not withdraw into video games and online chat sites. Lots of industry has been built on trying to help people suffering from ADD but to me, nothing works unless you remove the things that isolate and increase distraction.