Reply To: Can GPs prescribe meds to raise dopamine level

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Can GPs prescribe meds to raise dopamine level Reply To: Can GPs prescribe meds to raise dopamine level

gillycol
Participant

Hello –

I am in a similar position, and even older (in my sixties). I have been told the waiting list in Yorkshire is anything from one to two years. I therefore asked about a private consultation for the formal diagnosis. I was told it was about £575. But the worst bit was that one cannot, apparently, have a private diagnosis and then switch back into the NHS for ongoing care. (I don’t quite know why not, or how they can stop you, but this is what I was told.) Please don’t take my word for this, but do check before you shell out for the initial consultation, because you may find yourself liable for any ongoing prescription/drug costs.

I can’t believe the situation in the UK is this bad.

I am considering asking about asking for antidepressants, but it seems silly to take the ‘wrong’ drugs because of NHS waiting lists – waits which if they were for physical ailments would simply not be tolerated.

Wishing you luck.