Reply To: Consequences at work

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Consequences at work Reply To: Consequences at work

kesl
Participant

Dear Penny,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and compassionate response. I want to say that you have no idea how much your words mean to me, however, knowing that you’re a mother to a child diagnosed I’m going to assume you know exactly how powerful it is for me to experience compassion and validation. Thank you for your dedication to this message board.

I also appreciate the references! I left teaching for this current job, was a public educator in secondary education for 12 years. I loved it, but was in an urban environment full of trauma and low with resources. My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and I felt emotionally depleted, searching for a less-emotional career and found my current job. It is in higher education working with an administrator who is one of the most powerful people in the institution. The very first job listed in this article (linked within the one you shared) lists teaching as a good job for Creative & Restless ADHD Brains. I have been thinking about going back to teaching and this discovery filled me with emotion. It is the perfect time of year to explore jobs in education and I plan to apply to suburban districts. I am deeply concerned about my boss providing a reference, however, I will navigate this carefully.

Thank you again, Penny. I appreciate your guidance and words of wisdom.