Reply To: This mama needs serious help with relentless ADHD almost 6-year old

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline This mama needs serious help with relentless ADHD almost 6-year old Reply To: This mama needs serious help with relentless ADHD almost 6-year old

Penny Williams
Keymaster

First, talk with the prescribing doctor about the results of medication so far and see if you need to increase his dosage or try a different medication. Is what he’s on right now helping?

Second, find stimulating play for him. He likely needs you with him all the time, engaging with him all the time because he’s trying to find the stimulation his brain needs (and doesn’t produce on its own). There are many products and activities that help sensory seekers, like weighted blankets or vests, tactile objects and fidgets, jumping, bouncing, and more:

3 Great Products for Sensory-Seeking Kids

What is he really interested in? Legos? Coloring? Slime? Use what interests him to help him gain some independence in play. “You’re so good at building Legos! I bet you can make a car all by yourself. I’m going to be in the kitchen while you show me how you can build a car all by yourself.” That’s one example.

Anxiety is another possible explanation. He may need you in the room to feel safe or out of fear that something will happen to you when you’re not together.

[Self-Test] Does My Child Have Generalized Anxiety Disorder?

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism