Reply To: 7 year old daughter newly diagnosed. I'm overwhelmed and need help.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents 7 year old daughter newly diagnosed. I'm overwhelmed and need help. Reply To: 7 year old daughter newly diagnosed. I'm overwhelmed and need help.

Coco84
Participant

So far, nothing has changed with her IEP. The school said because this has come up at the end of the year, they won’t make any modifications or even evaluate her for anything extra until the next school year begins. Right now she gets Speech for Expressive/Receptive delay, 20 minutes twice a week and she has come a long way. I was hoping to get her approved for in school tutoring, but she was denied. She’s incredibly intelligent and working with her one on one is much easier, still takes a lot of reminding for her to do her homework or reading, but she does do it. The classroom setting is the problem. She doesn’t hear much of what the teacher is saying, then gets lost easily. Her teacher has been wonderful, but one teacher for 22 children isn’t enough. She does what she can. My husband and I both work so homeschooling really isn’t an option for us… I was looking into private or charter schools but I hear there could be issues there as well. I’m just stuck. Thank you for your response and encouragement.