Reply To: 7 year old daughter newly diagnosed. I'm overwhelmed and need help.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents 7 year old daughter newly diagnosed. I'm overwhelmed and need help. Reply To: 7 year old daughter newly diagnosed. I'm overwhelmed and need help.

Angelacawein
Participant

First of all, I feel for both of you. It is heart breaking when you have a child that hates school. My daughter, she is 8 years old was diagnosed at the end of the school year last year. She had been struggling since kindergarten and hated school. I had a heck of a time getting her to school. She didn’t want to go, said she was sick, cried, had melt downs, ect… I have a lot of experience with ADHD children, both types and I knew she had it. She started taking Adderall right before the last grading period last year. She brought her grades from almost failing to making the A-B honor roll. Her second grade year, she has made the honor roll all year. All A’s and 1 B. She went from hating school to wanting to go to school even on the weekends. She is upset that there is a summer break. Go figure. Not sure how things will be with her this summer but plan on keeping her busy. I do understand not wanting to give medication to a young child, I felt the same way. I am not a doctor but just from what you have said, I really feel she would do so much better with medication. It would be a small dose, like 5 mg and see if things improve. You can always quit taking it but worth a try.