Reply To: I hope some help from you guys confirming (or denying) my diagnosis. ADHD please

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond I hope some help from you guys confirming (or denying) my diagnosis. ADHD please Reply To: I hope some help from you guys confirming (or denying) my diagnosis. ADHD please

Dr. Eric
Participant

At this point, I recommend finding someone who is going to take the time and do a comprehensive review.

You may one, the other, or multiple diagnoses.

This will be complicated by the fact a lot of your currently presenting issues have overlap in how they present and their cause.

It is very likely, that a timeline of how your issues presenting themselves over the course of your life will be more informative than measuring your symptoms today.

ADHD’s relationship with things like depression and anxiety can be very complicated.

You could have just been born with several of them in what professionals call “comorbidity.”

Or, you can have depressive or anxiety symptoms as the result of untreated ADHD, you and the professional need to make a decision. Do you focus on the ADHD first, and see how that corrects the rest… or do you need to treat both?

Think of this analogy where having untreated ADHD is like being out of work.

Being depressed about not having a job seems normal.
Some professionals will give you a med or counseling to help you deal with your feeling about not having a job.
I am going to try to help you get a job first.
Now, if you depression, prevents you from doing the applications, showing up to the interview, and doing your best in the interview… We need to treat the depression whether or not it is the primary or secondary issue.

If you get a job, but you cannot keep it… Then we need to see why and treat that as the primary problem, not the original lack of a job.

Some folks will take a “more is better” or “treat everything”.
However, I find that professionals who take a “see what sticks” approach are not as effective as those that try to focus and prioritize.

Final thought, regardless of your medication routine, please do not neglect the other stuff. Medication opens the door to developing skills and coping strategies. It doesn’t build them. Eliminating the negative symptoms is only half of the job. Building the positive pattern is the more important, but less urgent, half.

If you are on YouTube, go watch some Jocko Willink Videos, especially any excerpts from his “Discipline Equals Freedom” field manual.