Reply To: I feel like I’m just awful at my job

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I feel like I’m just awful at my job Reply To: I feel like I’m just awful at my job

allym
Participant

weighing-in briefly as a fellow ADHD-er (on a timer so that I can get to work on time though! Haha!) I’ve felt the same for many years while at different jobs, but there was always a part of the job I excelled at, and others that I bombed. The social/relationship building work tasks in my sales/pr jobs I knocked out of the park, while the boring tasks of inputting the orders and “wrapping up” were my nemeses. I’ve read/watched much on the topic and one fact stands out: ADDers have so much to contribute to the workforce AS LONG as we set ourselves up to succeed in the right job. Don’t beat yourself up if you’re not great at/in boring and repetitive work tasks and environments. You’re swimming upstream! There’s a great webinar on ADDitude you should be able to access called “How to Find Your Path: A Roadmap for Choosing a College, a Career, or Something Different” which I think is helpful at any age/career changers, maybe help to re-evaluate what your role is in a given company. He also gave a TEDx talk on the topic.

After getting married and staying home to raise my twins (kind of like a job with no vacation or pay!) the lack of structure and deadlines was disastrous for me and my marriage and I sought professional help. I was finally diagnosed with Adult ADD (inattentive – not hyperactive) and started Adderall which has been hugely helpful (wish I’d known when I was a young adult)! Not a fix-all but at least I can stay on-task and focused with tools like timers and LISTS.

Don’t give up! Try to identify which skills you enjoy most and co-workers/people admire most in you and perhaps you could move more towards those and delegate the harder tasks to someone who likes the more tedious tasks better! And finally remember that it takes all kinds of personalities and talents to make a business run well – ADDers bring unique talents to every workplace that others lack! 🙂

Best of luck!