Reply To: College Student Home for Summer

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents College Student Home for Summer Reply To: College Student Home for Summer

Penny Williams
Keymaster

Help him find something he enjoys or is interested in if at all possible. That will help to ease some of the dread. For instance, if he really enjoys animals, a job at a shelter or a farm could work. If he enjoys cars, a job at a mechanic’s shop. Even an unpaid internship would be good — it’s the commitment and the experience that have the most value.

Last summer was my daughter’s after freshman year summer. She applied for many jobs, was honest she’d be moving back to school at the end of the summer and couldn’t get a job. This summer I have a couple big projects I’m working on and needed help — fortunately I can pay her to work for me 10 hours a week or so. A job out in the world would be much more ideal, but it’s so hard when they’re moving back and forth twice a year.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism