Reply To: Is This Illegal?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Is This Illegal? Reply To: Is This Illegal?

Angelacawein
Participant

When my oldest son was diagnosed at age 5, he started taking Ritalin. When it wasn’t working like it did at first the doctor raised his dose. He started having tics, first it was motor tics but developed into voice tics. I was going to his school two or three times a week. I showed up one day went to his classroom, there was a desk outside the class. I heard my son’s voice down the hall. I found out that he had been out there every day they were in school. I spoke to the teacher and was told the other students couldn’t do their work or learn with my son making noises in the classroom. The teacher also said that if she had another student like my son, she would retire. They ended up putting him in special education. I am a mother of 4 kids with ADHD, tourettes, ODD, I do understand the teachers side but also the students.
At the beginning of the school year, I go and meet my kids teachers. I explain that they are ADHD and take medication. I tell them my cell number and email address and tell them if there are any problems at school. Please let me know. If there are any changes in medication or whatever I called the teacher or email them. Since then I have had no problems with the teacher or the school.