Reply To: Sudden "Episodes" of not loving me triggered by stress or fear of commitment?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Sudden "Episodes" of not loving me triggered by stress or fear of commitment? Reply To: Sudden "Episodes" of not loving me triggered by stress or fear of commitment?

MommyManiac1963
Participant

Hi РI read everything you said about your fiancé, and his behavior is NOT like anyone I know with ADHD and I live with two people who have it.
What you are describing sounds like bipolar or some other mental health issue. If I may be blunt, it sounds like you have no control over the relationship because of the distance and the people in his life who have control over him.
I can’t tell you what to do, but there are so many things wrong with the relationship that I would take a good hard look at what your life will be like with this person. They obviously have mental health issues but he doesn’t take any medication for it or even have a formal diagnosis. If you’re going to spend the rest of your life with this person then you need to tell him how you feel and that he has to see a doctor and get diagnosed and medicated, with counseling, if you are going to marry him. If you don’t do this at the beginning and see if he does it, then your life will just be more of the same. He needs help and you need to have resolution to your issues.
You may even have to be prepared for him being unwilling to change anything. Then you have to decide if you can live with him the way he is or find someone else.