Reply To: How long is waiting time for ADHD referral in the UK

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls How long is waiting time for ADHD referral in the UK Reply To: How long is waiting time for ADHD referral in the UK

h22k22-female
Participant

I went back and forth to my GP for a year and got a prescription for propanol for anxiety which I still use. This is all I have to help me to date.
I presented my diary and my self diagnosis to my GP and he agreed it sounded probable. He discouraged me from a formal ADHD diagnosis as there was no medication to cure it and no benefit to a label. I persisted and he made the referral.
6 weeks later I was sat in front of a woman assessing me. She told me ADHD was a condition for teenagers where they can’t keep still- so why did I think I had it?.
I told her she was wrong and I resented every second I sat with her. I answered her set questions about my daily life and relationships. She concentrated on me not speaking to certain family members and asked for reasons. The important stuff, like me not being able to do a weekly supermarket run and put dinner on the table for my family- she laughed at and said it happens to her sometimes too and I should try writing a list. She was 40 mins late without explanation and that wound me up. She said they didn’t have an expert in the area and to leave it with her.
That was 6 months ago, I left the mental health clinic and I’ve heard nothing since.
So, If you are on a waiting list and being taken seriously I wouldn’t worry how long it is!
Good luck.