Reply To: Expressing frustrations constructively

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Expressing frustrations constructively Reply To: Expressing frustrations constructively

DonkeyLady
Participant

I’m old enough to be your mother – in fact, my youngest is your age and my oldest is the same age as your boyfriend – so please forgive me for the maternal tone. I would strongly suggest that you and your boyfriend hold off on moving in together and get some couples counseling before proceeding any further. Based on what you’ve said, it sounds to me like this relationship is not ready for the commitment (and hard work and stress) that is necessary for successful cohabitation. You don’t trust him, he refuses to discuss things that you consider to be important, and he’s driving you nuts – things won’t get any better if you move in with him… in fact, I suspect, they’d get worse, but then you won’t have to option of being able to go home to your own place to decompress. I sincerely hope you find happiness and security, with or without your young gentleman… please tread carefully…