Reply To: My anxiety is so bad but I’m only medicating my ADHD. Can anyone assist?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD My anxiety is so bad but I’m only medicating my ADHD. Can anyone assist? Reply To: My anxiety is so bad but I’m only medicating my ADHD. Can anyone assist?

Getittogethergirl
Participant

Hello! So sorry you are suffering. Anxiety is so tough. I take Adderall XR and zoloft. I was taking zoloft for about a year before my adhd diagnosis. Just so you know, initially the zoloft made my anxiety worse, but that went away with a higher dosage. Anxiety meds are different than adhd meds in that they take about a month to kick in, so don’t get discouraged if they don’t work right away. The first 2 days starting zoloft made me nauseous and drowsy, but that went away too.

I only say that because I don’t want you to feel discouraged about anxiety meds at the beginning since they are so very helpful and I wholeheartedly recommend them. I thought my doc would take me off of them when I got my adhd diagnosis, but she kept me on them and I am grateful.

The feeling is similar to the lifting of overwhelm that comes with adhd pills, but it is more a lifting of panic from your chest. I also feel like my emotions (positive and negative) are way more in control now that I am on both medications. I may still have anxious thoughts, but my body doesn’t react to them anymore and it kinda trains my brain that the thoughts are just thoughts and there is no reason to get revved up.

My husband takes venlafaxine for his ocd/anxiety because zoloft did not work for him. I believe you can take a genetic test to see which pills would work for you, but I haven’t done that.

I hope you find relief soon! Definitely go to the doc about it asap. The anxiety itself kept me from asking for help for a long time and the meds make a giant difference.