Reply To: 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds. Reply To: 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds.

fuscia
Participant

It does alter brain chemistry, for the better when the right med combo is found, which may take some trail and error. ADD is a misregulation of dopamine, mis regulations of dopamine is also found in Parkinson’s, alzheimers, and dementia. So, I wonder, if taking these medications will help the brain with dopamine regulation and perhaps even prevent these other diseases later on? ADHD is in my family, and my grandfather ended up with Aphasiatic Alzheimer’s and my grandma now has Parkinson’s.
Kids who have diabetes have to take medication, so do kids with anxiety disorders, and other neurological issues.
I understand why you are concerned, I share that concern too, but if I could find the right medication combo, I’d take it, because my ADHD has an emotional lability that cannot be controlled with out medication. No matter how much CBT, counseling, meditation, and yoga I do. I just don’t have that pause to think or call upon the Lord for help, I’m just upset and reacting like a cornered animal.
If your child wants to try the meds, let him, it’s his body, it’s his decision, and really we need to raise teach and ultimately let go and let our kids make their own decisions.