Reply To: Newly diagnosed by psychiatrist, psyd disagrees

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Newly diagnosed by psychiatrist, psyd disagrees Reply To: Newly diagnosed by psychiatrist, psyd disagrees

mightyconcorde
Participant

My psychiatrist and I have been discussing that idea. I don’t want to give up on him yet! Today’s appt I managed to tell him that I felt I had nothing more to say to him. After much silence, he asked comparing our relationship to another in my life and he asked if i felt he and i were going sour. His word, not mine. I don’t remember (!) exactly what i said, but it was a no and we got to how would i like therapy to proceed. After a bit of silent deliberation, i came up with this: “we are going to talk about adhd. You don’t know me. I am always on time for you. But… and i proceeded to tell him a story of a typical time “trying” to get to a friends house. So i am going to swing you over to our team. You don’t know me. I have adhd” He laughed of course at the team comment.
Yes, we have been together therapeutically for 8 years, but it’s been fairly existential purging on my part and probing on his part. I don’t go in there and talk about my week. Unless there is something big happening. I believe i have strayed.