Reply To: Anybody Else on Clonidine?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Anybody Else on Clonidine? Reply To: Anybody Else on Clonidine?

I am! I’ve actually been taking it for years (since I was 4 years old and was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance of norepinephrine). Ritalin (according to my mother) made me 10 times more hyper/crazy than I already was, apparently Ritalin triggered my brain to go into ‘fight or flight’ mode more often than it already did when I was younger. I finally found a doctor that tried prescribing a quarter of Catapres i.e. Clonidine because my brain wasn’t developed enough at 4 years old to handle ADHD meds. Fast forward 25 years later, I’m obviously still insanely hyper but a low dose of Vyvanse paired with half a .01mg Clonidine tablet x2 daily (morning and afternoon), it’s literally a miracle combination.
I still have to focus in depth on maintaining self awareness and control but it allows me the ability to harness my outrageous energy levels and channel it using different methods I’ve learned work the best for me.
ADHD is actually a major strength in my adult life, it gives me the energy and perseverance ‘normal’ people can’t even comprehend.
I call it organized chaos lol ADHD can be a blessing or a curse depending on the perspective. I’ve found implementing certain structural procedures to check myself has made the willingness to overcome daily battles a key part in my success.

I’m glad you’ve found that balance! 🙂