Reply To: Newly diagnosed 7 year old with angry, out of control behavior

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Newly diagnosed 7 year old with angry, out of control behavior Reply To: Newly diagnosed 7 year old with angry, out of control behavior

Terri Ward
Participant

I would highly recommend having your son tested for autism. We had the exact same profile our daughter. She was “stubborn and opinionated” then had impulsively ADHD before the accurate high functioning autism diagnos came following the dangerous behavior you’re describing. I would also Highly recommend a full Occupational/sensory evaluation by a licensed occupational therapist. Your child’s school otters all of these evaluations s that no cost to families as part of federal law. You may not agree with the results, but at least you can get started there. the appropriate diagnoses open access to services in public schools, as well as protections from discrimination your child could face without them.
Regardless of the diagnosis, you should consult a board certified behavior analyst (BCBA). These therapists address dangerous behavior through a formal process to help you, and other caregivers to your child, know what to do not only during a crisis moment (elopement), but also to figure out why the behavior is happening and how to curtail it. my daughter masked her ASD until she was almost 9. She’s now almost 11. 2 years into therapy for a diagnosis She’s doing better than I could’ve expected, and our family is no longer in crisis and controlled by her behavior. that Should’ve been caught by the time she was 7 but we didn’t know c what we do now. You’ll never regret ruling it out, only not knowing for too long.