Reply To: Adderall Xr not working

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Adderall Xr not working Reply To: Adderall Xr not working

judiro
Participant

My husband tried the generic Adderall XR, and had a pretty terrible experience. At first he felt some improvement with it, but over time he started to feel worse. Worse than he felt when not taking anything. After a lot of research, we learned that the stimulant in Adderall depletes your body of magnesium, a mineral people with ADHD tend to be naturally deficient of in the first place. Our experience was therefore that the adderall exacerbated his magnesium deficiency, which led to tiredness–like you say, not feeling rested even after 8-10 hours of sleep–anxiety, depression, joint pain, fatigue.

You might want to try magnesium supplementation to start, and gradually weaning off the adderall before you try another medication. Don’t stop adderall cold, though. My husband wanted to be off of it so badly, that he just stopped cold. And it was terrible. I actually had to take a few days off of work to stay with him because the process of adderall leaving his system left him feeling really in a really dark place. It was scary enough to him, that he won’t try another medication. Instead he’s been working on cleaning up his diet (eliminating gluten, dairy, egg, soy, corn) and supplementing with magnesium and a lot of probiotics. This has been enough for him. It might not be for everyone, but don’t underestimate the effect of diet and supplementation. It’s not a “cure”, but it definitely contributes. For some people it’s enough to make things more manageable without meds. For others, it can reduce your need for meds to a lower dosage.