Reply To: 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds. Reply To: 15 y/o daughter is begging to be put on ADD meds.

theAteam
Participant

I don’t want to scare you, but children with ADHD are 50% more likely to get into drugs and alcohol if not treated. Your daughter will be 18 in three years and will be able to make her own decisions on medication. Right now would be the perfect time for you to help her find a medication that works without changing who she is. In my experience I have heard of kids who are self-medicating with marijuana and alcohol. My son was addicted to Xanax and marijuana from age 18-20 (he was not taking medication for his ADHD.) I believe marijuana helped with his anxiety that was caused by the ADHD.. I have ADHD And take Adderall every day. All three of my children have ADHD or ADD. Two of my children take medication for school only. It really does help and is not something to be afraid of. You just need to find the right Doctor Who won’t overmedicate your daughter. I hope this helps you. But don’t be afraid to treat her legitimate diagnosis with a medication that will work immediately and be out of her system the same day.